Travel with Tobey and Sue

Travel with Tobey and Sue
Tobey and Sue in Africa

Monday, February 21, 2022

February 21, 2022 - Honolulu, Hawaii

Today was our last day in Hawaii and we were busy – relaxing!

I walked to the International Market Place this morning to do the rental car return. We dropped it off last night, but the Budget kiosk is only open 8-3:30 so I had to return the keys. No worries, a little walk this morning was no problem. It rained overnight and was still sprinkling a little when I set off so I was treated to a beautiful double rainbow. Our week here started with rain and are ending it the same way. rainbowAfter doing our airline check-in we headed to the beach. We had some serious relaxing to do!

Bette has never snorkeled, but she wanted to give it a try. She wasn’t 100% comfortable once in the water so she opted to do beach time while I went out. Snorkeling definitely takes practice before hitting the ocean.

I went out on my own, although there were plenty of other folks in the water either snorkeling, paddle boarding or kayaking so I wasn’t alone. There was a small reef area and rocks and I was surprised at how many fish I was able to see. Angel fish, convict tangs, threadfin butterfly fish, black trigger fish, and even a few of Hawaii’s state fish, the humuhumunukunukuapuaa. Say that three times, will ya? There were several sea urchins and some sea slugs, too. A couple people said they saw sea turtles, but I didn’t. After about 45 minutes, I was back on shore, relaxing, too!

We decided to eat at the Steak Shack for lunch today since the wait last night was so long. It’s a tiny place with long lines and delicious food! We split the 10 ounce steak plate which came with rice and salad. lunch 1lunch 2It was served with a teriyaki sauce for dipping and to put over the rice. The smell coming from this little place was like a little slice of Heaven! SOOO GOOD!! We were both stuffed!lunch 3We needed more beach time so we found a shady spot for Bette to relax while I snorkeled again. This tree gave off some serious shade!shadeAfter snorkeling, I had so much fun watching these little house finches in the sand. Only a few feet away from me, they were busy digging little holes in the sand then fluffing their wings in the sand. Tobey will appreciate this – I must be a cheap date because I am so easily entertained!birds 2birds 1Around 4:00 we enjoyed our last views of the ocean and started our walk back to the condo.beach 1beach 2Showers, packing, and dinner in were on the agenda since we leave tomorrow morning. This has been a great sisters’ week! Mahalo, Tobey.

No comments: