Travel with Tobey and Sue

Travel with Tobey and Sue
Tobey and Sue in Africa

Thursday, February 16, 2017

February 16, 2017 - Tulum, Mexico

Today was one of those days that might make you shake your head at in disbelief.

We hung out here until after lunch then decided to go get postcards to send to friends’ grandkids. We picked a couple and headed to the post office to mail them. Total for the stamps was $30 pesos ($1.50 USD). The smallest bill I had was a $50 peso bill ($2.50 USD), so I should get $20 pesos in change. They didn’t have any change. Both of the postal workers checked their own wallets, but no change. I had already put the stamps on the postcards, so I was committed! I walked across the street to a small market, but they couldn’t make change for me either. I told the postmaster we were going to the Chedraui supermarket and would come back and pay him. He said okay!

Off we continued to the Chedraui to pick up our groceries, and wouldn’t you know, the bill came to exactly $100 pesos! I asked if they could make change for the $50 peso bill – no, they didn’t have change either! We stopped at their customer service counter and they would not make change. I guess today was not a “customer focused” day… For Mexico being such a cash society, it is hard to believe no one had change!

We stopped across the street at the barbacoa taco stand we’ve eaten at, and after digging in her pockets and tip jar, she was able to come up with change for us! We headed back to the post office and gave him the money. I think he was surprised we actually came  back! Who would know how hard it was to just pay for some stamps!

We were  both really exhausted by the time we got back because it was 85 degrees and about 80% humidity! We spent the rest of the afternoon cooling off!

Dinner out tonight, now a movie. Tulum, it’s easy!

No comments: