Travel with Tobey and Sue

Travel with Tobey and Sue
Tobey and Sue in Africa

Tuesday, September 20, 2022

September 20, 2022 - Newton to Sterling, Kansas

Can you say hot? It never cooled down last night so we didn't sleep very well even with all the windows open and the exhaust fan going. The alarm was set for 6 am but I woke up early and, not being able to see very well in the dark, thought it was almost 6 so we got up. Turns out it was 5:30! Oh well. We got everything ready and Tobey's bike loaded using a flashlight!

The guys were on their way at 7:00, again, hoping to beat the heat.
We continue to do our leap-frog routine of the guys riding, us waiting 45 minutes to an hour, then passing and stopping when they need a break. Much of the day was heading west and they had 20-35 mph cross or head winds. Not fun!

One of our friends asked what I do while Tobey is riding. Well, I love to read, so I have my e-reader loaded with lots of books and spend time doing that. On this trip I also brought along a quilt that I started 20+ years ago that I am hand quilting to work on. I am determined to finish it! Unfortunately, I am using black thread on black fabric so I need really good light. Needless to say, it is taking a while! I also try to find places for us to stay overnight. We have a solar panel on the RV and a generator, so we don't often need to stay in organized campgrounds. I often call ahead to the towns we think we will be in and check with the police about parking at city parks, or libraries, or churches. I also do the meal planning and cooking. I want to be sure Tobey has the energy to continue on his rides!

Tobey took pictures of the different crops growing along the route. Who knew that cotton was grown in Kansas? Not us!
Not sure if this is sorghum or millet. Anyone know?
And of course, soybeans.

Lots of farm equipment, too!

They took a break in Buhler, Kansas before heading on toward Nickerson where we planned to stop for lunch. Well, .... the Tin Man made a stop in Buhler, too! Turns out, we are in Kansas, Toto!

A couple miles before Nickerson we experienced another detour because of road construction. Marcia and I parked near a large grain elevator operation and we had lunch there and a long rest break. The outside temperature was already near 100 and the winds were horrible. When it was time to go, we loaded the bikes and took a three mile gravel road detour then Tobey and Phil got back on the bikes.
 
Most of the ride across Kansas is on the Route 76, TransAmerica Bike Trail. For the most part, the roads are much less traveled and have been good. After lunch, however, the road from Nickerson to the turnoff for Sterling was horrible. There was a lot of BIG truck traffic both directions. I was really worried about the guys but they managed to be safe. Phil decided to load up about five miles from the turn off but Tobey kept going. Tobey rode 61 miles today.

We got to the Sterling Lake Park about 4pm and hooked up to the electricity and cranked up the air conditioner! After cooling off and relaxing a bit, Phil and Marcia came over and we played some games before dinner.This city campground has water, electric, and sewer hookups and is $25 a night. AND city WIFI. We hope to get a better night's sleep before they get on the road early again tomorrow.
Our camp site.

No comments: