Travel with Tobey and Sue

Travel with Tobey and Sue
Tobey and Sue in Africa

Thursday, October 16, 2014

October 15, 2014 Lake Barkley, KY to Paducah, KY to Gilbertsville, KY

It rained off and on all night, but it was a gentle rain, so we both slept really well. Penny wanted breakfast about 7:30 but she snuggled back in after eating until almost 9 am! It was dark when we arrived last night, so this morning we had a chance to see how beautiful the campground was. We had a great view of the lake, even though it was raining.
We got on the road about 10 and as we headed north along Lake Barkley we thought there was a flock of geese coming in for a landing, but wait! As it turned out, they were pelicans, not geese!
We went to Paducah so I could visit the Hancock’s of Paducah fabric store and go to the National Quilt Museum.

Hancock’s is HUGE! It is a warehouse store from which they ship all of their online sales.

I wanted to place bolt after bolt of fabric into my shopping cart, but had to remind myself that I didn’t really need it and we do have a weight limit in the RV! I did find lots of extra wide backing fabric and got a good supply of that. Tobey came to pry me away after an hour!

We had lunch, then went to the National Quilt Museum. Tobey waited in the RV with Penny while I went through the museum. The have some absolutely beautiful quilts and I was in awe of the “artists” who created them. They don’t let you take pictures inside the museum so I just have to remember how beautiful they were. I think my favorite quilt they had on display was “The Beatles Quilt” made by Pat Holly and Sue Nickels. Another quilt that was a lot of fun was made by the Hanging by a Thread quilt group called “Ms. McDonald Had a Farm.” It was a fanciful farm applique quilt.

We headed back to Gilbertsville after the museum to visit friends, Chris and Sue. Tobey and Chris have been friends since elementary school and have shared lots of good times together. Sue fixed a wonderful dinner and we had a great time visiting. We really enjoyed seeing Chris’s recording studio. He is such a talented musician! Our evening came to an end and tomorrow we head off to St. Louis to see Tobey’s sister.

No comments: