Travel with Tobey and Sue

Travel with Tobey and Sue
Tobey and Sue in Africa

Thursday, September 3, 2026

September 3, 2026 - Clearwater, Minnesota to Fridley, Minnesota

Tobey was on the road about 8:30 this morning heading toward our first meeting spot.

I took time to go over to the Lions Park in Clearwater. It is a beautiful park with a playground, shelter, and even an ice rink for winter sports! It seems like every little town in Minnesota has a Lions Club and park.

Tobey had a fun first ride this morning.

He got to ride along the river and was lucky enough to spot a heron.

Later, he encountered several wild turkeys. He said several scattered as he went by, but one seemed very startled and kind of froze on the path!


He also spotted a black squirrel.

He saw two dead opossum, dozens of dead turtles in the road, and dead frogs. He did not stop to take their pictures! His map showed that he would be on an unpaved section of trail but it was actually a wooden trail and he said it was miserable riding on it!

Our first stop was at the Ellison Park in Monticello so he could have a snack. I'm not sure either of us could reel in this small mouth bass!

Tobey got to see an interesting house on the next section of his ride. He said the picture doesn't do it justice ... the pink was Barbie pink!

Several small communities had a compost site.
Another had a playground that was an Eagle Scout project!
And power plants!

From here I headed to the Coon Rapids County Park and Dam to park and unload my bike. I headed off to meet Tobey and ride back together about eight miles up the trail. Much of my route was through town, but it was fairly pleasant with some clouds and a nice breeze. I spotted an albino squirrel on my way.

After meeting up we headed back and stopped at the Akin Riverside Park just in time to get under their pavilion to wait out the rain! Fortunately it only lasted about 10 minutes, but it did make for a back-splashy ride back to the RV.

After a late lunch he was off on his last less than 10 mile stretch for the day. I stopped at the park's visitor center and walked over to see the dam.


One thing for certain, the humidity in the Midwest certainly makes it feel much hotter. After the rain stopped and the clouds dispersed, I was hoping for rain again just to cool it off! It didn't happen.

We met up in Fridley and will spend the night here. Today Tobey rode 61 miles and I rode about 16. Not bad!

No comments: