Travel with Tobey and Sue

Travel with Tobey and Sue
Tobey and Sue in Africa

Sunday, July 15, 2012

European Vacation #3 - Biking

This was the day I most dreaded. Tobey and I bicycle at home, but I have to admit, I am not very good. Hills make me nervous – both uphill and down! Before we left, I contacted REI to ask about the “Bike the lovely pastoral countryside, passing by villages and the unspoiled landscapes around Plitvice Lakes” and I was told it is about 4 hours of biking, about 10 miles, with plenty of stops. They have since corrected their website and it now reflects with more accuracy – “Cycling: 4 hours, ~20 miles; Terrain: Rolling hills with one steep hill.” 

The first steep hill was the first thing we encountered as we left our little village of Korana.


I am happy to report, however, that I was not the only one who walked their bike at least part way up the hill. Wendy said the hill was “a peddle counter,” and she bikes long distances, and often. Even Tobey had to walk the last little bit! We pedaled through the countryside and small villages. Turning off the main road to the Barać’s Caves is a huge downhill stretch. You have to go back UP the hill when you leave! You will never guess who was walking her bike back up the hill? Yep, me.
Upon our arrival, we had a tour through “Cave Three.” Our guide was informative and truly loved his job.

Barać’s Caves were once known as Radaković Caves. According to the local legend, the caves were named after someone named Barać who defeated the furious Turkish giant in the battlefield and earned himself honor. There are three caves, and the Third Cave is open to the public. 

From the entrance we passed through Guano Hall and continued through the Elephant Feet Hall filled with cave formations –stalagmites and stalactites. In 1955 Dr. Mirko Malez claimed this cave to be the home of the Early Man because of its location and age.

After our tour, we headed back up the hill and retraced our route. I was near the end of the group – two others were behind me. I was struggling up on long incline when my legs were telling me I was finished. I got off and was walking my bike up the last of the hill when the REI van pulled up behind me. To my surprise, the two other riders were in the van, along with their bikes. I decided to take the van. As it turns out, I should have continued – it was only about five more minutes to our lunch stop! I was so disappointed in myself!

After our lunch break, I unloaded my bike and made the rest of our 22 mile trek back to Korana.

We changed into our swimsuits and walked to the waterfalls about 10 minutes from the village. The water was brisk, to say the least, but refreshing after our ride.


Dinner tonight was a traditional barbeque which included chicken, pork, and sausages, as well as vegetables in a tasty sauce.

One thing for certain, the food was good and plentiful!

No comments: