Travel with Tobey and Sue

Travel with Tobey and Sue
Tobey and Sue in Africa

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Fall Colors in Colorado

 


The leaves are turning in Colorado and putting on a beautiful display!

Tobey and I drove up to Rocky Mountain National Park about a week ago because it is one of my favorite places to view the changing seasons. My goal – drive up Old Fall River Road to the Alpine Visitors’ Center and back Trail Ridge Road with a brief stop at Moraine Park. We packed a picnic lunch and headed out. Needless to say, traffic was heavy on a gorgeous Sunday afternoon!

We stopped for lunch before we arrived at Alluvial Fan and noticed the signs on the road saying that Old Fall River Road was CLOSED! I was really bummed because it didn’t open until the end of July and here it was, the 2nd of October and already closed! Say it ain’t so!

We went on to Alluvial Fan and enjoyed sitting by the water for a while.   Tobey suggested I continue driving and “just see” if the road might be open … and it was! Yippee! I love this drive – a one way, one lane, switchback-filled eleven mile route through some of the most beautiful parts of the park. This is definitely not a road for anyone who is in a hurry!http://www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvisit/old_fall_river_road.htm

 The colors were just beginning to change as we headed up  the road.

 

 

 

The further we drove, the more colorful the trees were.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

We were about nine miles up the road when we noticed the snow nestled in above the aspen grove.

As we got closer and closer to timberline, the colors were starting to show shades of orange.

After a brief stop at the Alpine Visitors’ Center we headed back down Trail Ridge Road to Moraine Park and caught sight of this big elk grazing near the creek. IMG_4176

My day was complete – goals met!

Now as I listen to the wind rustling through the trees and see the leaves piling up on my deck and in the yard I can look back at my Rocky Mountain drive and not mind as much when I need to start raking!

2 comments:

Tim said...

Have you seen anyone ride a mountain bike over this road?

Bette Read said...

WOW that's awesome scenery and that elk! What can I say...